Pages

Saturday 23 December 2017

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

 
It is nearly Christmas so I can now share with you my cards for this year.

 
My daughter and her family are going skiing in Sweden this year so I decided to base their cards on a typical Swedish symbol.

 
The Dala horse has been made in Sweden for centuries, originally by carpenters for their children using up scraps of wood and then for sale to earn some extra money.

 
The traditional colour is red and they come in many sizes but I decided to use some of my fabric scraps to embroider using my own wooden horse as a model.  This mauve fabric is from a cashmere jumper Justine gave me a few years ago,  I love the contrast against the zigzags.

 
Although most of the horses are red or blue I had a lot of fun choosing suitable backgrounds for each person.  I gave Kirsty the hearts as I feel she's a romantic person.

 
Sarah loves trees so she got a scrap of silver birches, a favourite tree seen all over Sweden.

 
Steph got the blue sky as she loves geography and is a bit of a dreamer, often found staring into space!
 
 
And finally here's the card I made and printed to send to the rest of the family and friends, a drawing inspired by the Christmas tree mat my mother embroidered when I was a baby.  We were living in Sweden at the time, 1950, and I was the first of four children.  The mat has been used every year since then although for the first time it's now under Joanna's tree as I thought it was time to pass it down through the family.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before I handed it over, maybe I'll have to ask her to take one for me.
Have a very Happy Christmas everyone and I'll be back soon. 


 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment